For Auld Lang Syne, My Dear

Finally, the day to fly home has arrived. It was a wonderful trip, but quite long. Steve thinks the length was just right because our week in Edinburgh seems very long ago, and it doesn’t feel like we only just got to Scotland and are now heading back home. I’ll give him that, but I have been really missing the kitties the last few days, so I think the time is right to be heading back across the globe. I need to figure out how to certify the cats as service animals so we can take them with us!

Arriving at security in Edinburgh airport, I was taken aback by how it is both orderly and chaotic at the exact same time. Everyone is shuttled into rows at an individual security check point, much like when you get put into a seat-assignment row for Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland. Once there, you put your materials in bins on a table, which the security agents then take away to shoot on down the pike. But it’s a single conveyor belt for multiple lines. Unfortunately, those at the back of the ride (like me) keep getting delayed as the people at the front of the ride continuously have their bins placed on the belt in front of yours, so it takes a long time for your bins to make it to the scanner area. Once your bags are on their way, there is very little direction as to where to go for your own personal scan, then there is a longer-than-usual delay for your belongings to shoot back out at you.

Chaos at the screening area of Edinburgh Airport is, apparently, a known issue. My thought as I was being corralled into my row was that this airport would benefit greatly if Temple Grandin were to make a consulting visit.

Directly following the security area, all passengers “exit to the gift shop”.

There is no way to get to the departure gates without first passing through a lengthy Duty Free shopping area that weaves back and forth switchback-style for maximum temptation-aisle shopping. We fell for the 3 Toblerones for £12, only to find the first shop after the Duty Free area had 3 Toblerones for £10. I’m not sure, but I don’t think duty was being charged on them either. Sigh.

Finally, we were on the Rosie Lee for our short flight to Heathrow.

the Rosie Lee

I understand that all planes approach Heathrow along the same path, so we had selected seats on the right-hand side of the plane, and were once again treated to some nice views of the Thames on our final approach.

the Thames

the London Eye

Once at Heathrow, I took a moment after lunch to enjoy one last pot of tea before leaving the UK. I would come to regret this a short time later as our plane was sitting on the tarmac awaiting permission to take off, but it was lovely in the moment.

one last cuppa

After our layover in the enormous Duty Free shop that is Terminal 3 at Heathrow, it was finally time to make our final departure on the Miss Behavin’. Seriously, I think half of the planes should be named after men; the male flight attendants on all of our flights were just as pretty and well-coiffed as the females, if not more so.

Miss Behavin’

Thanks for a lovely time, Scotland! You were a real peach and I’ll be seeing you again in the future.

Anne IN Edinburgh